Sometimes you just have to indulge.
Even when you’re participating in October Unprocessed, the desire for a tender donut happens on a lazy Sunday Morning.
And when your twins look at you and say, “But Mom, we used so many calories up running the 5K Hole In the Wall Invitational,” you give in, just a bit.
I still won’t use sugar, or crappy genetically modified shortening to fry these lovely little Apple Butter Mini Donuts.
But combine some homemade apple butter with a bit of maple syrup for sweetness?
Yeah I can do that.
It didn’t hurt that I found this Bella Cucina 13466 Donut Maker
at the thrift store for $3.99, brand new in the box either.
Some things were just meant to be.
- 2 eggs
- 10 grams (1 packed tablespoon) pixie dust
- 57 grams (4 tablespoon) butter- melted or use safflower oil
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) vanilla etract
- 40 grams (¼ cup)maple syrup
- 71 grams (½ cup) white flour mix
- 83 grams (½ cup) whole grain flour mix
- 15 grams (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 5 gram (½ teaspoon) salt
- 125 grams (¾ cup) apple butter
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare your donut maker according to manufacturers instructions and preheat.
- Beat together the eggs, pixie dust, butter, maple syrup,and vanilla extract for 1 minute. It will thicken and become glossy
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Stir till well combined.
- Place tablespoons of dough in the wells of the machine.
- Bake according to machine instructions. I found that I had to let them cook for 7 minutes till they browned well. The machine’s book said 3. hmmf.
- Let cool and continue making donuts till all batter is gone.
- Glaze with Maple Toffee Glaze
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- Place maple syrup in pan over medium heat.
- Cook till the volume has reduced by ½, the mixture is thickening and the bubbles are not popping immediately.
- Add the butter then swirl the pan to combine.
- Brush on Apple Butter Maple Mini Donuts immediately
After using this donut baker for both plain donuts and the Apple Butter minis, I’m very glad that I only paid $4 for it. To get the donuts cooked fully, I ended up baking them for 7 minutes. The bottom of the donuts browned evenly to a chestnut brown but the tops were lighter.
If I wanted to go out an buy a machine again, I’d get this Sunbeam Mini Donut Maker simply because the reviews are better, only 6 1 stars overall. Love the Baby Blue too