there is sadness.
And for some people, highjinks and silliness.
My dear friend Sandy is off to sunny California next week. So, of course, there had to be a party.
Well actually, 3 parties.
But this one was for the families to gather too, not just the Girl Scout Moms, not just the Ladies, everyone.
From the youngest to the oldest we all donned our Monty Python costumes, from the Witch to the Rabbit and wandered our way to Sandy’s for one last hurrah.
Sandy LOVES costume parties and always carries the theme along to the food.
So I was asked to bring Basmati coconut rice pilaf, and this is what I made.
Recipe: Coconut Rice Pilaf
- 2 cups raw basmati rice
- 1 can 13.5 oz Coconut Cream- preferable Chaokoh brand
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons fresh or freeze dried chives
- 3 Tablespoons minced candied ginger
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Combine water, coconut cream and basmati rice in rice cooker.
- Cook according to the machine’s instructions.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker, bring water to a boil, add the coconut cream and the raw rice.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes till the rice absorbs all the liquid.
- Watch it carefully, it can burn easily if on too high a flame.
- While the rice cooks, place the almonds on a cookie sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Hold till rice is done.
- Repeat the toasting with the coconut for 3-5 minutes, but watch it carefully. The coconut will move from pale to tan in an instant. Hold till rice is done.
- When the rice is finished cooking, fluff it with a chopstick or fork, stir in the almonds, coconut shreds, ginger pieces and chives.
- Serve at once or allow to cool to room temperature
If you want to vary the pilaf, feel free to substitute a dried fruit for the ginger or just add it in.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Copyright © Dr. Jean Layton-GFDoctor.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Doctor Recipes.