Pie, Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes.
That is my personal trinity of comfort food, and this pie is made even better by including the cheese pie crust, gluten-free to contrast the thyme scented apples.
Cheese Pie Crust Recipe Gluten Free
This month I’ll be posting a recipe each day or two that are essential to my holidays.
Hoping that they help you create your special gluten-free holiday meal.
Pie is breakfast, lunch and dinner around my house during the holidays. After all, most pies are a terrific combination of fruit, carbohydrates and just a bit of protein from nuts or eggs, perfect for the dreary winter days or nights.
Am I worried about the fat content? Not so much since I use organic butter, organic lard or non hydrogenated fats for my crusts. With these good fats in hand, I can make a crust that is flaky, crisp and special without worrying whether I will be painting the interiors of my blood vessels with bad fats.
I’ll happily take an organic lard crust over Crisco any day!
But I won’t use gums anymore, my husband is reacting to them. So I used a bit of Pixie Dust to bind the flours into a supple cheese pie crust recipe gluten free dough.
And this is a seasonal indulgence, bringing along memories of pie crust rolling with my mom to my daughters.
The Ruhlman ratio for a perfect pie crust is 3 parts flour : 2 parts fat :1 part liquid. My recipe uses butter, cheese and an egg as the fat sources, honey and the egg as the liquid. This makes for a crisp and easily browning pie crust.
But don’t stop here, check out all the links at the bottom of the post to see how other bakers handle pie crust. You may find one of your dreams.
- 70 grams Whole Grain Flour Mix
- 94 grams White Flour Mix
- 10 grams (1 packed Tablespoon) Pixie Dust
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup 40 grams shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Filling: Stir together
- 4 small granny smith apples- peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch or tapioca flour
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme-optional
- In the bowl combine all the flour mixes, pixie dust and the salt.
- Add in the butter and shredded cheese.
- Pressing in the dough
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture till it forms small crumbs.
- Add the honey and large egg.
- Let the mixer run till well combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place one fourth of the dough between plastic and roll to to ¼ inch thickness.
- Place gently into tart pan using the plastic wrap to manipulate it into the crevices.
- Trim the edges to even them out with the outer edge of the pan.
- Re-roll the scraps for decorative top cut outs or lattice work.
- Add apple slice mixture.
- Top with lattice or cut outs.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Bake 8-10 minutes more till the apple slices are tender and the crust is browned.
- Quick notes
- If you like the idea of herbs in your apple pie, try rosemary too. I switch back and forth between the two.
- Realize that this dough incorporates the fat in both the butter and the egg yolk. And since the egg is in the dough, there is no need to brush the crust with egg for browning.
- If you would like to make this into a typical sliceable pie, just divide the dough into slightly unequal halves. Roll the smaller portion to ¼ inch thickness and place into the pie pan. Add the apple mixture (I up the number of apples to 6 and increase the sugar by 1 tablespoon) then top with the larger portion also rolled out to ¼ inch.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet to bake.
- Make sure to cut vents or leave areas uncovered so the apples moisture can escape. Bake 1o minutes at 400 degrees then ½ hour at 350.
- Preparation time:
TR from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies Chocolate Mousse Pie
Irvin from Eat the Love Double Butterscotch Apple Pie
Charissa from Zest Bakery Apple Galette with Pisco Soaked Golden Raisins
Kate from katealicecookbook Kale & Zucchini Tart
Jenn from Jenn Cuisine Sweet Potato and Duck Pot Pie
Karen from Cooking Gluten Free Pie
Rachel from The Crispy Cook Maple Walnut Pie
gretchen from kumquat deep dish chocolate bourbon pecan pie
Claire from Gluten Freedom Autumn Pumpkin Spice Pie
Morri from Meals With Morri Spinach – Prosciutto Ricotta Quiche & Muffin Tin Pie Variations
Silvana Nardone from Silvana’s Kitchen Chicken Potpie
Caneel from Mama Me Gluten Free Green Tomato Pie
Meredith from Gluten Free Betty Blueberry Pie
Shauna from Gluten-free Girl and the Chef Fresh Pumpkin Pie
Meaghan from The Wicked Good Vegan Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie with Pumpkin Seed and Ginger Topping
Erin from The Sensitive Epicure Chess Pie
Mary Fran from frannycakes Pumpkin Mousse Pie and Apple Maple Cream Cheese Pie
Brooke from B & the boy! Pot Pie
Lisa from Gluten Free Canteen Frangipane Apple Tart