Custard Filling for Cream Puff Pie, a set on Flickr.
Custard Filling for Cream Puff Pie
Kelly’s recipe called for 1 ½ cups of half and half, but I was out. The substitution of heavy cream and milk worked very well.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 16 grams (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 103 grams (½ cup) organic cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In heavy bottomed saucepan, combine cream, milk, cornstarch, sugar and eggs
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly
- Continue to cook the custard till it firms and you can draw a line in the mixture without it flooding back into the space.
- Remove from heat
- Add the butter and vanilla extract.
- Beat well till the butter melts
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove any larger pieces
- Place bowl over another bowl filled with ice
- Stir till the mixture cools completely