When you get invited to a pot luck before an outdoor summer movie, what do you bring?
If you are like me, you take a look in your fridge, creating on the spot.
I had 2 pounds of fresh bing cherries when we got the invite. Knew that this particular host family was also gluten free.
So a fresh cherry clafoutis gluten-free was in order.
A clafoutis is a lovely tender cake made with fresh fruit, butter, cream and eggs.
Traditionally, the cherries aren’t pitted to allow the almondy flavor of the pits to enhance the cherries.
My family prefers to just eat the cake instead of spitting pits. So I picked up my new Oxo Cherry Pitter and had a great time pitting the cherries in a flash.
- 30 grams raw buckwheat flour- grind your own green groats in a coffee grinder for this flour or substitute xanthan gum or use ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 150 grams white flour mix|http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/recipes/white-flour-mix.html]
- 55 grams whole grain flour mix|http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/recipes/whole-grain-flour-mix.html]
- 75 grams organic cane sugar
- 3 grams salt
- 10 grams baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter-melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 360 grams half and half
- Combine in a bowl:
- 700 grams pitted Fresh bing cherries or sour cherries
- 30 grams organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Optional: 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a 9×12 glass pan thoroughly
- Stir together till one color: all flours, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat together eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and half and half.
- Combine both mixtures, beat well till the mixture is pale yellow and thickened a bit.
- Layer the sugared cherries in the bottom of the greased pan..
- Pour the batter over the cherries.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven on the bottom rack.
- Bake for 35 minutes without opening the oven.
- Check to see if the cake is done, poking with a toothpick and checking to see if it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if you’d like
I’ve decided to enter this recipe in the Oxo Cherry Recipe Contest just for fun, wish me luck.