Ginger, Cardamon, Cloves, Allspice, and a bit of pepper for a spicy kick.
These sandwich cookies capture the flavors of the holidays in a perfectly shippable form.
I’ve made these with butter but you can substitute shortening for a dairy-free version.
Best of all, technique is the reason you can whip these cookies up with ease.
Pixie Dust creates the structure for the cookie by holding it in a lovely network of protein strands, creating an open holed texture.
Contrasting the crunchy spicy cookie, smooth cooling white chocolate is tender and sweet.
- 157 grams (12 Tablespoons)softened unsalted organic butter
- 20 grams [url href=”http://glutenfreedoctor.com/pixie-dust-xanthan-gum-replacer/” title=”Pixie Dust-Seed Mixture to replace the gums”]pixie dust[/url]
- 309 grams (1 1/2cup) organic sugar
- 20 grams (2 tablespoons) organic molasses
- 40 grams (1/4 cup) honey- the older crystal developing kind is best
- 15 grams grated orange peel (approx. One orange)
- 3 large eggs
- 56 grams (1/2 cup) almond flour
- 3 grams (1 teaspoon)ground cardamom
- 3 grams (1/2 teaspoon) ground white pepper
- 2 grams (1/4 teaspoon) ground allspice
- 3 grams (1/4 teaspoon) ground cloves
- 3 grams (1/4 teaspoon) ground ginger
- 3 grams (1/2 teaspoon)salt
- 9 grams (1 1/2 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 8 grams (2 teaspoons)ground cinnamon
- 142 grams (1 cup) [url undefined]White flour mix [/url]
- 165 grams (1 cup) [url href=”http://glutenfreedoctor.com/gluten-free-flour-mix-whole-grain/” title=”Gluten-Free Flour Mix-Whole Grain”]Whole Grain Flour Mix[/url]
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) white rice flour
- 20 grams (4 teaspoons) baking powder
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) baking soda
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, I used Sunspire<a href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BXOFLW/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004BXOFLW&linkCode=as2&tag=centeforhealt-20″><img border=”0″ src=”http://ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B004BXOFLW&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=centeforhealt-20″ ></a><img src=”http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=centeforhealt-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B004BXOFLW” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Combine in mixing bowl butter and pixie dust, beating slowly till the color is even. We are NOT trying to incorporate air.
- Beat in the sugar, molasses, honey, orange peel and eggs till just combined.
- Stir together almond flour, spices, flour mixes, white rice flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add to mixing bowl and beat until just combined. Do not beat till fluffy or the cookies will spread and flatten when baked. Air is not your friend in cookie dough.
- Place dough into container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Well chilled dough makes for cookies that don’t spread.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make balls of dough. I use a tiny 1.5 teaspoon cookie scoop <a href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UE83/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00004UE83&linkCode=as2&tag=gf005-20″><img border=”0″ src=”http://ws.assoc-amazon.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00004UE83&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=gf005-20″ ></a><img src=”http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=gf005-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00004UE83″ width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
- but you can just pinch off even sized balls and roll them in your hands. The yield is flexible depending on the size you choose.
- Place on silpat or parchment paper covered cookie sheets, making sure to leave at least 2 inches between cookies to allow for the flattening of the cookies.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate pans in the oven-top to bottom and side to side.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then remove to a cooling rack.
- Prepare the filling by melting the chips and coconut oil, stirring till smooth.
- Place a shy teaspoon of this mixture on the back of one cookie and place second cookie on top.
- Allow to cool.