Gluten-Free Butter Pie Crust
Author: Jean Layton
The actual hands on time is short, but you need to remember to allow for at least 4 hours of time in the fridge.
- Stir together all the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and pixie dust till you get an even color.
- Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour, smearing the mixture between your fingers.
- Continue till the mixture resembles sand with a few chunkier pieces.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Add the water a bit at a time, stirring with your hand to incorporate the water.
- The dough should hold together with a gentle squeeze.
- If you need another tablespoon of water to reach this consistency, that is fine. Everyone’s flours have a different moisture content, just based on regional moisture differences.
- Divide the dough in half, form into a neat disc about an inch tall.
- Wrap well in plastic and chill for at least ½ hour.
- Cover your rolling surface with tapioca flour. Remove one disc of dough from the plastic, sprinkle generously with tapioca flour.
- Place on prepared surface and begin to roll.
- Roll lightly as a butterfly with almost no downward pressure. Just allow the dough to move gently flatter, keeping the board and surface of the dough well sprinkled with tapioca flour.
- Makes 2 single pie shells