This seems to be the last blast of summer in the Pacific Northwest.
The time when all foods start to turn toward orange like butternut squash and pumpkin.
The time when baking is a thoroughly enjoyable pastime, warming hearts and the kitchen too.
I’m not quite ready to let go of the amazing stone fruits of summer. The tangy, juicy peaches and nectarines seem to have just arrived here.
Luckily, I found organic nectarines in the market just in time for this month’s Gluten-Free Ratio Rally.
What is a Ratio Rally you ask?
Imagine a group of bloggers getting together virtually to tackle recreating classic baking recipes gluten-free. Working from the inspiration of ratios, those weights and measures that insure your recipe comes out, our host chooses a recipe ratio to make, lets us all know the topic and you get to see the results on one day.
This month’s host is Charissa from Zest Bakery. I was fortunate to meet Charissa at IFBC-International Food Blogger Conference this year. Such fun to actually meet and visit a bit with a virtual friend.
Perhaps because she is such a talented baker, she chose tarts as the topic.
The ratio for tart dough is quite similar to pie crust 3-2-1 flour-fat-water
I’ve been playing a bit with gluten-free and dairy-free pie crust.
I think you’ll like it a lot.
- 200 grams 1 ¼ cup [url href=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/whole-grain-flour-mix/” title=”Whole Grain Gluten-Free Flour Mix”]whole grain flour mix [/url]
- 200 grams 1 ⅓ cup [url href=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/white-flour-mix/” title=”White Flour Mix”]white flour mix[/url]
- 15 grams 1 ½ teaspoon organic cane sugar
- pinch of baking powder
- 10 grams (1 packed tablespoon) [url href=”http://glutenfreedoctor.com/pixie-dust-xanthan-gum-replacer/” title=”Pixie Dust-Seed Mixture to replace the gums”]Pixie Dust[/url]
- 144 grams (¾ cup) organic palm shortening (I use Spectrum Organic’s buttery one, no it isn’t dairy)
- 117 grams (½ cup)ice water
- 4 tablespoons almond flour (optional)
- Stir together till one color: whole grain flour mix, white flour mix , sugar, baking powder and flax seeds.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening till you have lumps the size of peas.
- Stir in ice water, allowing the flours to be surrounding the fat lumps but not squishing them or breaking them up.
- Gather the dough into a ball.
- Cut in sixths for tiny tarts or keep in halves for larger ones.
- Wrap each half in plastic wrap and form into a compact disk.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Allow warm till the dough will accept a finger pressed on its surface without breaking.
- Roll out each disc between plastic wrap to ¼ inch thickness.
- Using the plastic wrap, manipulate the dough into the chosen pan.
- press into the pan
- Cut off the dough that extends beyond the pan.
- Chill for ½ hour or more .
- Preheat oven to 450
- <a href=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_0588.jpg” data-mce-href=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_0588.jpg”><img class=”size-medium wp-image-3605″ title=”Almond Flour on the pastry before fruit keeps it flaky” src=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_0588-e1349240934169-225×300.jpg” alt=”” data-mce-src=”http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_0588-e1349240934169-225×300.jpg” height=”300″ width=”225″></a>
- Sprinkle the prepared shell with 1 tablespoon almond flour for tiny tart or 4 tablespoons for a large tart.
- Cut the peeled nectarines into thin slices and place overlapping slightly on the prepared dough, curving to match tart shell, starting from the outside and working to the center. The final piece will need to be curled completely.
- Sprinkle with organic cane sugar or coconut sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till lightly browned.
Charissa | Zest Bakery Cheddar Apple Tart
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! Plum Tart + recipe free of gluten, dairy, eggs
Paula | Gapey’s Grub Sugar Free Pear Tart
Sihi | Wandering Ladle Banana-Pomegranate in Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Tart Shells
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary No-Bake Mini Pumpkin Tarts (grain free)
Pete and Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem Spiced Cider-Poached Cinnamon Apple Tart
Jonathan | The Canary Files Vegan Cardamom Cashew Cream & Fig Tartlettes
Mary Fran | FrannyCakes Gluten-free Savory Sweet Potato tart
Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free Pecan Tollhouse Tarts
Morri | Meals with Morri Savory Onion Tart with Pâte à foncer crust