Yes, I had thought of it. I love Shauna and Danny’s videos. Learning a new technique is much easier to follow visually.
What held me back was simple. Who would come and do that filming?
My girls? Their camera control needs a bit of work.
The dog? She is no help, you need those opposable thumbs to hold the camera.
Cat told me she was a videographer, and asked would I like to be filmed by her?
Jeanne Sauvage from Art of Gluten-Free Baking was all lined up to do her flaky pie crust. Cat wondered if we would be willing to guest appear on each others filming.Heck, yes!After all, pie crust is one of the holy trinity of gluten-free desires.Bread, pizza and pie crust.The three s that make newly diagnosed gluten-free folks weep to imagine life without.
All of which are actually fairly simple to make once you have a great guide.A guide like Jeanne for pie who learned from Kate McDermott the secrets to flaky, buttery pie. Which she then turned around and created gluten free.
Like good students everywhere, while we were filming, I took mental notes of all the techniques.
I brought those techniques back to my kitchen.
Gathered my choices of flour, using my flour chart for guidance for nutritions sake. Brought my ½ pound of butter to cool room temperature for flavor’s sake, and created my variation on Jeanne’s classic pie crust.
Now I had the essential ingredient for the Omega of a meal. Cookies that fill the empty nooks and bits of time with coffee after a big meal.
Since my husband lets me know on a yearly basis that mincemeat is his preferred pie for Thanksgiving, these are for him.
|Waiting to be filled|
|just a bit of filling|
|Sorry for the fuzzy focus, I just love this tool of my grandmother’s. It cuts out fluted circles or plain circles with the center cut out able to be flipped from one site to the other. Ingenious!|
|Found this fun mincemeat at Deals only!|
|Check out that list of ingredients, real fruits, cider and brandy. Just a bit of tartness from the acid. We can’t seem to get enough of it.|
|This one only lasted a moment, Ed grabbed it right after the photo|
And if those recipes aren’t exactly what you are hoping to find for your holiday table, check out this amazing group of bloggers who all took on the challenge of baking gluten-free. For some of these folks, it might be the first time ever baking gluten-free.
- Andrea’s Recipes | gluten-free pumpkin scone
- The Mommy Bowl | gluten-free bread
- White on Rice Couple | Turkey Sloppy Joes on Rosemary Rolls
- What’s Gaby Cooking | gluten-free molasses cookies
- Kitchen Gadget Girl | gluten-free pumpkin strata
- Wasabimon! | gluten-free butternut squash pie
- Rookie Moms | chocolate peanut butter brownies
- Tiffin Tales | gluten-free Thanksgiving torte
- Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom | gluten, dairy and egg free crescent rolls and cinnamon rolls
- Eat the Love | Gluten Free Maple Sweet Potato Cheesecake with Gingerbread Bottom
- The Art of Gluten-Free Baking | gluten-free pumpkin pie
- Sophisticated Gourmet | cranberry-almond-coconut macaroons topped with chocolate
- Cook 4 Seasons | gluten-free pumpkin mousse
- Cook It Allergy Free | Cornbread and (Shauna’s) Crusty Bread Stuffing
- Lexie’s Kitchen | dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, no-bake pumpkin pie filling
- Recipe Girl | an entire Thanksgiving menu, gluten-free
- Two Peas and Their Pod | gluten-free apple cranberry crisp
- Gluten-Free for Good | gluten-free cherry cobbler
- My Madeleine | butternut squash soup.
- The Sensitive Pantry | gluten-free brown sugar hand pies
- Art and Lemons | gluten-free rustic squash tarts
- Bellalimento | Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Mascarpone and Nutella Filling
- Mom Project | an entire Thanksgiving, gluten-free
- Gluten-Free Easily | candy carrot coins
- Dish Towel Diaries | kale Caesar slaw.
- A Baking Life | gluten-free gingerbread cake
- Glugle Gluten-Free | gluten-free pumpkin muffins
- Wenderly | sweet and savory prosciutto cups
- Cannelle Et Vanille | sweet potato and crabapple clafoutis
- for My Family | gluten-free apple pie cheesecake
- Who Ate My Tomato | gluten-free squash tart
- What’s Cooking with Kids | gluten-free apple crisp
- Blue Bonnets and Brownies | apple and pear cobbler
- CakeSpy | turkey meatloaf cupcakes