This month’s Recipe Redux started out with an interesting request. Which kitchen gadget is indispensable in our kitchen? There are so many that I use on a daily basis, but the one that gets the most use is a very simple scale. Ever since I made the change from volume measurements to weight based measurements, my […]
Tag Archives | chocolate
When a good friend asked me recently for a killer gluten-free, dairy-free cake recipe for a friendly competitive potluck, I considered.
Time is short for construction, the party is Saturday, but the friend who wants to make this cake is willing to try anything truly spectacular.
Then again, battling the heat and standing time of a potluck situation would make that a bit risky.
As lovely as a pie might be, spectacular isn’t an adjective I use to describe most.
Tough to transport and how to add that wow factor?And then it hit me.
This amazing cake I had made for a baby shower would be perfect!
Bob’s Red Mill Almond meal for the flours
Whole organic oranges for flavor, moistness and texture
Eggs for lift.
Elegant, pretty and perfect!
Well, almost perfect. The flavor is amazing but the appearance is quite plain.
Flourless Dairy Free Almond Orange Cake with Dairy free Ganache, a set on Flickr.
So I debated the trick of stenciling the cake top, but even that didn’t have the true wow factor.
Danielle also loves chocolate, but her dairy reaction means that she is limited to the dark kind.
So I decided to combine the cake with a dark chocolate robe of dairy free ganache.
Dark, sexy chocolate makes everyone want a piece.
I love the surprising pop of orange color when you cut into this cake.
And you will too.Feel free to let it sit a day or so, it gets even better. I didn’t want to give away the secret so I didn’t add chocolate dipped orange peel to the decorations, but you can.
Competitive potluck? There is to be a judging of the various entries and a prize awarded for the people’s choice.
I’m betting on this one. How about you?
|Flourless Almond Orange Cake with Dairy free Ganache||
#ratingval# from #reviews# reviews
- 2 Organic Valencia seedless oranges approximately 535 grams
- 4 eggs
- 215 grams (1 cup +1 teaspoon ) organic cane sugar
- 300 grams (3 cups) almond meal
- 10 grams 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Cover oranges with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Drain the oranges
- Cover them again with water
- Bring to a boil
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, this reduces the bitterness of the oranges
- Allow to cool.
- Remove the peel of the each orange with a paring knife, leaving as much pith (white part) on the orange.
- Place the peel in the bowl of a food processor.
- Remove the pith and discard,
- Section the orange, remove the center core.
- Add sections to the food processor.
- Puree the oranges till smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs till well combined.
- Add the sugar and beat till light and fluffy.
- Fold in the almond meal, oranges and baking powder.
- Smooth the batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Place on bottom rack of the oven for 55-60 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing with [url href="http://www.gfdoctorrecipes.com/dairy-free-ganache/"]Dairy Free Ganache[/url]
You do realize that this isn’t a true ganache, right? After all, the definition of ganache is chocolate and cream combined to create a frosting. So this thinner coating isn’t tradtional. Pouring the dairy free ganache, a photo by GFDoctor on Flickr. Who cares? It’s terrific. Dairy Free Ganache Author: Dr. Jean Layton-GFDoctor Recipe type: dessert, […]
Thirteen years ago, I was awakened by a feeling of dread. Dread because the bed was damp. Dread that something I ate at the house party the night before was attempting to crawl out of my body. My guts were in a tumult, cramping pains coming along with a crescendo/decrescendo rhythmic wave. Wait, what? It […]
This should have been a post about Blog Her- that amazing event that manages to bring almost 3800 women and 6 guys together to talk about blogging, being 360 degree women, community building, and having a voice in the blizzard of social media. But it isn’t. Because just after getting home from BlogHer 11, […]
Sometimes I crave chocolate. Dark soft Chocolate with just a bit of sweetness, vanilla scented, made simply from great ingredients. . 250 Grams of Dark Chocolate (I used Trader Joes 72% Belgium dark)- cut into squares 150 grams organic heavy cream 40 grams organic unsalted butter 3 grams vanilla extract 200 g powdered sugar (optional) […]
Search within this blog
Popular Posts- My Mixes
- Pixie Dust-Seed Mixture to replace the gums
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix-Whole Grain
- Gluten-Free Cookie Mix Recipe
- Gluten Free Flour Mix White
- Comparison of Gluten Free Flour Chart
© 2014 Gluten-Free Doctor. All Rights Reserved.