Waffles are some of my family’s favorite food.
We make them with a bit of sweetness for breakfast, with crumbles of berries stirred into the tangy buttermilk batter.
We make them savory with grated cheese for dinner, topped with fried peppers and onions.
We make them just a bit undercooked, to make them instant toaster waffles.
The girls even use them as sandwich bread, smeared with peanut butter and homemade nutella spread,
They are so simple to make, just beat, and pour into the waffle iron. The only thing to keep in mind is that the waffle iron you choose is important to your result. I love this one. It gets very hot, creating a crisp exterior and tender insides. Best of all, the iron isn’t lined in non stick chemicals. It’s got a durable ceramic coating that is far more durable.
Non-stick surfaces are coated with a synthetic polymer called polytetrafluoroetheylene (PTFE), also known as Teflon, a DuPont brand trademark. Toxic fumes from the Teflon chemical released from pots and pans at high temperatures may kill pet birds and cause people to develop flu-like symptoms.
Manufacturers’ labels often warn consumers to avoid high heat when cooking on Teflon. Tests conducted in 2003 showed that in just two to five minutes on a conventional stove top, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick surfaces could exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases.
- 4 eggs
- 300 grams buttermilk (approx 1½ cups)
- 10 grams Pixie Dust (approx 1 tablespoon)
- 1 stick butter- unsalted-melted and cooled
- 10 grams vanilla extract
- 40 grams sugar (approx 3 Tablespoons)
- 206 Whole Grain Flour Mix (1¼ cup)
- 142 White Flour Mix (1 cup)
- 15 grams Baking Powder
- Raspberry Crumbles (optional)
- Beat eggs with buttermilk and pixie dust till one fluffy yellow color.
- Pour in half the butter and beat,
- Add other half of the butter and vanilla and beat well.
- Add sugar, flour mixtures and baking powder.
- Beat the mixtures together.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Follow waffle iron instructions to bake the waffle, sprinkling raspberry crumbles on batter if desired.