Recipe: Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Cashew Cream
Summary: This is a perfect starter or light lunch for Thanksgiving.
- one 4 pound butternut squash-Cut the squash in half length ways. scrape out the seeds and pulp. Place the squash cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for about an hour. Poke the thick part with a pointed knife and you will know if it is done. After baking, the skin can be just pulled off. Mash the butternut squash well. This portion of the recipe can be done up to 5 days before serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion- cut into tiny dice
- 2 russet potates- cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary- minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Heat a stock pot till oil added is rippling.
- Add the onions and potatoes.
- Let cook till lightly browned.
- Add butternut squash puree, rosemary, salt, pepper.
- Cook for a minute to combine flavors well, stirring.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes
If you don’t have the time to bake your own squash, feel free to substitute a can of butternut puree. You could also substitute a can of pumpkin puree or yam puree for a bit of a variation.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 12
Copyright © Dr. Jean Layton-GFDoctor.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Doctor Recipes.
If you would like some other options for soup, click on over to The Book of Yum for 5 more fabulous recipes